- Canola cooking spray
- 4 small eggplants, stems removed, cut in half lengthwise
- 1⁄2 tsp salt, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 to 1⁄2 tsp ground allspice
- 1⁄2 cup Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a large, shallow baking dish with canola spray.
- Scoop out flesh from eggplants, cut into chunks and reserve. Sprinkle inside of the shells lightly with 1⁄4 teaspoon salt. Place upside down on paper towels. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spray large skillet with cooking spray. Cook garlic and onion over medium-high heat until browned, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, reserved eggplant flesh, and allspice. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until just tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in parsley, lemon juice, remaining salt and pepper.
- Pat eggplant shells dry with paper towels. Spoon eggplant mixture loosely into shells. Place filled shells in prepared baking dish. Cover with foil and bake until shells are tender, about 40 minutes.
- Remove foil; sprinkle tops evenly with feta cheese. Bake for 10 more minutes, then serve.