Eat Your Way to a Healthy Heart, by Dale Pinnock ($14.99, Quadrille, 2018). Photo Credit: Martin Poole
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, halved, then sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large zucchini, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 Tbsp rolled oats
- 3 tsp grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Pour oil into a saucepan set over medium heat. Sauté onion, garlic, bell pepper, and zucchini with a good pinch of salt, for about eight minutes, until they all begin to soften.
- Add tomatoes and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until tomatoes have reduced right down and you have a thick ratatouille. Season further, if desired.
- Cut eggplant in half. Scoop out flesh from each half, leaving a rim of about 1/4 inch of flesh. Lay eggplant halves face down on a baking sheet and pour in a little water. Bake for about 12 minutes, until they start to soften. Turn over and bake for another five minutes.
- Mix oats and Parmesan together and season to taste. Spoon ratatouille mixture into eggplant halves, pressing it down firmly. Divide Parmesan topping between them. Return to oven for another 12 minutes.
Serve this dish with a side salad.
Per serving: 380 Calories, 15 g Protein, 64 g Carbohydrates, 27 g Fiber, 12 g Total fat (3 g sat), 974 mg Sodium, ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Vitamin B1 (thiamine), B6, C, K, Phosphorus, Potassium, ★ ★ ★ ★ Magnesium, ★ ★ ★ Vitamin A, B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), E, ★ ★ Calcium, Iron, ★ Zinc