Although reports of flu have been sporadic this season, more widespread activity is likely to start soon. Here are five foods that can help you in the battle to stave off the influenza virus. They’ll help you ward off colds too.
- Yogurt. It’s packed with immunity-boosting probiotic bacteria.
- Oranges. These and their citrus cousins pack plenty of vitamin C, which helps fight infections.
- Garlic. That strong flavor comes from sulfur, which fights viruses and gives your immune system a healthy push.
- Salmon. A great source of vitamin D, which enhances cells that battle viruses. (Salmon is also a terrific source of omega-3 fatty acids.)
- Almonds. Their vitamin E supports your body’s immune function.
If the flu virus does reach your home, turn here for sore throat relief.