The weather may be keeping you indoors, so curl up and relax by enjoying traditional refreshments like tea, cocoa, chai, coffee, or cider. These cold-weather favorites are a tasty way to get some additional health benefits, too. Start sipping!
Tastes similar to apple juice, but with a more tart, robust, and concentrated flavor. Add spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves and heat for a true autumn treat.
- retains many of the benefits of whole, fresh apples—including antioxidants
- may protect arteries from harmful buildups of plaque
- daily consumption can reduce heart disease risk
This Indian favorite is spicy, creamy, and sweet. Made from black tea, heated milk, and a combination of spices that can include cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, ginger, and nutmeg.
- black tea is linked to heart and bone health
- black tea may reduce LDL (bad) cholesterol
- black tea can help the body recover from stress
Also known as hot chocolate, this childhood favorite is rich, sweet, and chocolaty. Typically made with milk. For a dairy-free version, use water.
- cocoa consumption is associated with reduced cognitive decline in old age
- cocoa possesses disease-fighting properties
- cocoa may reduce risk of heart attack, stroke, and high blood pressure
This popular morning pick-me-up can range from mild to bitter in taste. Some enjoy it black; others add cream, milk, or sweetener. Flavored coffees are a tasty option.
- contains antioxidants and minerals that have been shown to improve insulin sensitivity and glucose metabolism, making it helpful against diabetes
- may help relieve a headache and enhance mood
- a compound found in coffee may help fight tooth decay
- drinking anywhere from a half cup of brewed coffee (regular or decaf) to three cups daily is associated with a 21% reduced risk of stroke compared to drinking no coffee
Bright and refreshing in flavor. Depending on variety, can range from mild to acidic and astringent.
- contains epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), a powerful antioxidant shown to have antiviral effects that can protect against flu and upper respiratory tract infections
- reduces heart disease risk and lowers cholesterol
- helps control blood sugar
- may aid in weight loss (drinking several cups daily)
- contains polyphenols, which may protect the brain against dementia and Alzheimer’s disease