Carrot Ginger Paleo Cake
- 1 1/3 cup Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener (not Baking) or 1 3/4 cup Organic Zero Erythritol
- 1 1/3 cup medium-shredded unsweetened coconut flakes (not coconut flour)
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp unprocessed salt
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, soaked if possible
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional; these are high in sugar)
- 2 1/2 carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces (250 grams)
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 tart apple, unpeeled, cored, and cut into chunks (100 grams)
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 inches fresh ginger, chopped or grated (about 20 grams)
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp maple flavoring (optional)
- 1 Tbsp raw yacón syrup (optional, for a caramel flavor)
- Paleo Creme Cheese Frosting
- A food processor
- a digital scale, as carrots and apples vary in size
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and lightly dust with coconut flour or arrowroot powder one 9 by 13 inch pan or two 8 inch round cake pans
- In a dry food processor fitted with the “S” blade, grind the sweetener to a very fine powder.
- Add the shredded coconut to the sweetener in the food processor. Spin it for a minute until a very fine powder. Open the lid, stir the bottom, replace the lid, and grind again until the powder is uniformly fine.
- To the ingredients in the food processor, add the arrowroot, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutritional yeast, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice. Mix well and pour into a large mixing bowl. Add the nuts and raisins (if using) to the bowl, and stir.
- Place in the empty food processor the carrots, eggs, apple, orange zest, ginger, vanilla, maple flavoring (if using), and yacon syrup (if using). Mix well, until the carrot and apple are well liquefied.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture. Stir briefly to incorporate.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan(s). Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool for 2 hours in the pan(s) or on a rack.
- Top with Paleo Creme Cheese Frosting.
The Frosting Recipe
This is the perfect topping for a carrot cake.