Grilled Veggie Burgers
Reprinted with permission from Where There’s Smoke © 2013 by Barton Seaver, Sterling Epicure, an imprint of Sterling Publishing Co., Inc. Photography by Katie Stoops
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 shallot or small onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, grated on a Microplane grater or very finely minced
- 2 Tbsp chopped walnuts
- 2 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 4 pitted prunes, roughly chopped
- 1 medium beet, boiled in water to cover until tender, peeled, and shredded on the large holes of a box grater
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (follow instructions on the package)
- 1 (15-oz) can black beans, drained and briefly rinsed
- 3 Tbsp oat bran or instant oatmeal
- 1 large egg (optional)
- Kosher salt
- 4 brioche buns, toasted
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook shallot and garlic until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add walnuts and paprika, toss to combine, and cook 1 more minute. Add prunes, shredded beet, and vinegar. Stir to combine and remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine beet mixture with rice, beans, oat bran, and egg, if using; season generously with salt. Stir with some force to mash most of beans and rice into a tacky paste that still has some chunks. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Chill mixture for at least an hour.
- Form chilled mixture into four patties, each about 1-inch thick. Brush patties with remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, and then sear them directly over the coals of a medium fire flavored with a few wood chips. When patties begin to crisp and brown, carefully flip them over and cook for another few minutes.
- Rotate grill grate so patties are away from the fire, and cover the grill to heat them all the way through, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, toast buns over the fire.
- Serve veggie patties on toasted brioche buns.
Per serving (without bun): 395 Calories, 15g Protein, 62 g Carbohydrates, 13 g Fiber, 11g Total fat, 70 mg Sodium. Good source of Manganese, Folate, and Magnesium.