Split Pea Soup
- 16 oz dried green split peas, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 2 leeks, white and pale-green parts only, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Red pepper flakes and vegan sour cream, optional
- Soak peas in water that covers them completely by about 1 inch for 4 hours. Drain.
- Add drained peas and all other ingredients to a 4-quart cooker.
- Turn heat to Low and cook for 8 hours.
- Let soup cool slightly. Remove bay leaf. Process soup in batches in a high-speed blender until smooth.
- Garnish with red pepper flakes and sour cream, if desired.
149 Calories, 8 g Protein, 29 g Carbohydrates, 9 g Fiber, 1 g Total fat, 407 mg Sodium, ★★★★★ Vitamin A, C, K, ★★ Vitamin B1 (thiamine), B6, Phosphorus, ★ Vitamin B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, Zinc