- 1 large bunch (about 1 lb) fresh asparagus
- 3 cups water or vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp vegetable broth powder
- 2 leeks (about 2 cups), mostly white parts and some green, sliced thinly
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped small
- 2 shallots, peeled and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 package Mori-Nu Silken Lite Firm Tofu, pureed to become 3/4 cup by volume
- 1 Tbsp white miso
- Cut 2 inches off bottom of asparagus stalks and peel each stalk about 3 inches up.
- Cut asparagus into 2 inch pieces.
- Add all ingredients, except tofu and miso, to a large soup pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook covered for 30 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Add tofu and miso to soup and cool for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Puree the soup in blender until it's smooth. Pass through wire mesh strainer to remove any remaining stalk fiber. Best served with croutons or chopped chives.
Don't like asparagus? Substitute with broccoli or zucchini!
Calories: 110,Total Fat: 41g (saturated fat: .6g, polyunsaturated fat: 2.3g), Total Carbohydrate: 14.7g (dietary fiber: 2.9g, sugars 3.3g), Protein: 8.8g