- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 16 oz extra-firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 shallots, diced
- 15 pitted prunes, roughly chopped
- 15 dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or water
- 2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Sliced toasted almonds, for garnish (optional)
- Slow cooker
- Combine smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, turmeric, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Combine diced tofu with 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large bowl and mix well, using your hands. Add half of the spice mixture and mix again so tofu is well coated.
- Heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tofu and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often, or until it starts to brown slightly.
- Spread remaining tablespoon of oil on bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker. Add cooked tofu and remaining ingredients, except almonds. Add remaining spice mixture and stir well. Cook on High for 8 hours.
- Garnish with sliced almonds before serving.
No slow cooker? No problem. Here are the stovetop instructions:
- Prepare the spices and cook the tofu as noted above.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a large soup pot. Add the carrots and shallots and cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the shallots are translucent, stirring often.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and cook for an additional 4 minutes.
- Add the prunes, apricots, raisins, broth or water, orange and lemon juices, and the remaining spice mixture. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked tofu and chickpeas, lower the heat to Low, and simmer for 30 minutes.
With almonds: 669 Calories, 8 g Protein, 80 g Carbohydrates, 8 g Fiber, 36 g Total fat (18 g sat), 349 mg Sodium, ★★★★ Magnesium, ★★★ Phosphorus, ★★ Iron, Zinc, ★ Vitamin B1 (thiamine), B6, K, Potassium