- 1 cup canned low-sodium plum tomatoes
- 1/4 cup low-sodium tomato puree
- 1 cup chopped watermelon (seedless)
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon basil, chiffonade (cut into thin strips)
- Garnish: Four sprigs of fresh basil
- Combine all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend well.
- Before serving, garnish each bowl with a sprig of fresh basil.
How to Make Orange Zest:
- Using a grater or microplane, shave off the peel of an orange to make 1/2 teaspoon of shavings.
- The shavings are your zest, which add strong, wonderfully citrus flavor to foods.
- Use only the colored part of the peel, not the bitter white pith beneath.
35 calories, 0g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 1g protein, 2g fiber, 15mg sodium.