From Part-Time Paleo by Leanne Ely, CNC ($18, Plume Books, October 2014) www.savingdinner.com
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 3 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cubed
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1½ Tbsp sweet curry powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 c chopped broccoli
- 1 c raisins
- 2 green apples, diced
- 1 (14 oz) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 c low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 c unsweetened coconut cream
- ½ c unsweetened toasted coconut flakes
- In a sauté pan, melt coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until golden.
- Transfer onion to a blender or food processor. Cool slightly. Purée until liquefied.
- Place chicken in slow cooker. Sprinkle with salt, curry powder, ginger, and cinnamon. Thoroughly rub seasonings into meat. Add onion purée along with remaining ingredients and stir to blend well.
- Cover and cook on Low for 7-8 hours or until chicken is fork-tender.
- Serve with a sprinkle of toasted coconut.
Per serving: 572 Calories, 57 g Protein, 36 g Carbohydrates, 6 g Fiber, 23 g Total fat (19 g sat, 2 g mono, 1 g poly), 572 mg Sodium, ★★★★★ Vitamin B3 (niacin), B6, Phosphorus, Selenium, ★★★★ Pantothenic acid, Copper, Manganese, ★★★ Vitamin B12, C, Magnesium, Zinc, ★★ Vitamin B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), Iron, Potassium