- 1/2 cup flaxseeds
- 1 cup almonds or pecans
- 1/4 cup raw agave nectar*
- 1 cup dried figs, stemmed and diced (about 10 figs)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp raisins (optional)
- 2 tbsp chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
Prepare the Dough
- In a coffee or spice grinder, grind the flaxseeds to a fine powder. Transfer to a food processor and blend with the almonds until a flour like consistency is formed.
- Add the agave and process into a workable dough, adding a touch of water, if needed.
- Remove the dough and place between 2 large sheets of parchment paper. Using a rolling pin or your hands, flatten into a large square. Peel off the top layer of paper and set the dough aside.
Make the Filling
- In a clean food processor, puree the figs, water, cinnamon, cardamom and salt into a thick paste. Spread the mixture evenly over your dough and sprinkle with raisins and chopped nuts, if desired.
Make the Rolls
- Next, roll the dough into a tight cylinder, as if you were making sushi, using the parchment paper as the mat.
- Place your roll in the freezer to set for about half an hour, then remove and cut into 12 equal pieces.
- Store the rolls in a glass container in the freezer. They will keep for up to 2 weeks.
Here is a cinnamon roll you can feel great about—an excellent clean and tasty bite-sized snack that delivers on all the essential needs for any athlete. The combination of raw agave and sun-dried figs will provide you with the sustainable, balanced release of energy for best performance—without a spike and crash. We like to use these rolls as a midride/-run/-hike fuel source. It’s always great to reach into the back pocket of your jersey or backpack and refuel with a tasty snack!
- *When selecting an agave nectar, look for one that is both raw and organic.
The key to a whole new level of health is as simple as eating well! Zuzana Fajkusova and Nikki Lefler, authors of Vegan Weight Loss Manifesto, have been vegan athletes and health coaches for more than 20 years and have designed the perfect plant-based diet to fuel your body.
Zuzana and Nikki have discovered the plant-based secret to building leaner, stronger muscles, and with their meal type and timing recommendations for casual, moderate and high-impact workouts, you’re sure to find the best way to give your body the nutrition it needs to keep improving.
Zuzana Fajkusova and Nikki Lefler
Zuzana Fajkusova and Nikki Lefler are the founders of ActiveVegetarian.com and authors of Vegan Weight Loss Manifesto. They are health coaches and the hosts of The Active Vegetarian podcast. They live in Vancouver, Canada.
The key to a whole new level of health is as simple as eating well! Zuzana and Nikki have been vegan athletes and health coaches for more than 20 years and have designed the perfect plant-based diet to fuel your body pre-, mid- and post-workout. A vegan diet provides all the essential vitamins, minerals, enzymes and antioxidants an active body needs―and with delicious recipes like Chocolate Muscle Mylk, Veggie Nori Rolls and “The Game Changer” Burger, you never have to sacrifice flavor. They even include sample menus to help you plan your plant-based journey to increase your strength and energy while reducing body fat. So, whether you’re a competitive athlete or weekend warrior, this cookbook has recipes that are sure to strengthen your body, mind and spirit.