The Naked Kitchen Veggie Burger Book by Sarah Davies and Kristy Taylor ($19.95, Lyons Press, 2014)
- 1⁄3 c dry whole-wheat couscous
- 1 Tbsp safflower oil or other neutral-flavor oil
- 1⁄2 c diced yellow onion
- 1⁄2 c chopped green onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 11⁄2 c broccoli florets, steamed
- 13⁄4 c cooked garbanzo beans
- 1 Tbsp tahini
- 1–2 tsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup your favorite bread crumbs or Homemade Bread Crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or nonstick foil, and set aside.
- In a small pot, bring 1 cup of water and couscous to a boil. Remove from heat immediately and allow couscous to sit in pot for 10 minutes, soaking up water.
- While couscous rests, heat safflower oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the yellow onion, green onion, and garlic. Sauté for 3 to 5 minutes or until onions are soft and translucent. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Transfer onions and garlic to a food processor and add couscous, broccoli, garbanzo beans, tahini, cumin, lemon juice, and sea salt.
- Pulse mixture 3 or 4 times, stopping to scrape down sides if necessary, and then transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add bread crumbs and gently mix until well incorporated.
- Form mixture into 8 patties and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, flip burgers over, and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until firm.
- Top with Fresh Peach Salsa if desired.