- 1 (16 oz) package frozen chopped spinach
- 2 Tbsp ghee, divided
- 8 oz paneer (Indian cheese), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper*
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- Prepare spinach over the stovetop according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the ghee in a large nonstick or cast iron skillet set over medium heat. Add paneer cubes and cook until one side of each is browned. Flip and sauté for another minute. Remove paneer to a plate and set aside.
- Transfer spinach to a clean kitchen towel and squeeze excess liquid from spinach. Purée spinach in a food processor or high-speed blender until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of ghee in skillet. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add onion, ginger, coriander, cumin, turmeric, garam masala, and cayenne pepper, if using. Sauté until mixture is evenly light golden in color. (This should take about 10 minutes.) If the mixture is drying out or burning, add a few tablespoons of water.
- Add puréed spinach and stir well. Add 1/2 cup of water and salt and pepper to taste. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat. Slowly and gently stir in yogurt. Add paneer. Rewarm over low heat and serve.
*If you don’t want any spiciness in the dish, omit the cayenne pepper.