- 3–6 baked winter squash (such as acorn or carnival)
- 2 Tbsp Nutiva Organic Milled Chia Seeds
- 2 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup kasha
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp Nutiva Organic Red Palm Oil
- 2 cup fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps sliced
- 1 cup leeks or onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves or 1 1/2 tsp dried
- 2 tsp fresh sage, coarsely chopped, or 1 tsp dried
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- Place the milled chia seeds in a small bowl with 1/3 cup water; set aside, and boil 2 cups water in a tea kettle.
- Heat and melt the red palm oil in a 9-inch heavy skillet. Add mushrooms, leeks, celery, red bell peppers, kasha, chia mixture and sea salt; sauté, mixing occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the ingredients are fragrant and well mixed. Turn off the heat.
- Add the boiling water and bring the ingredients to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Add and stir in the thyme and sage. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if desired.
- Let cool briefly and serve stuffed into baked winter squashes, such as acorn or carnival, garnished with hemp seeds.
Organic Connections is brought to you by Natural Vitality, a purpose-driven human nutrition company. Natural Vitality Living offers fun tips, delicious recipes, inspiring profiles and features to empower readers to find balance in a stressful world. Visit the Organic Connections blog for more content that will get you eating, drinking, gardening, shopping and learning in a whole new shade of green.