Wheat Germ Pancakes with Yogurt
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs, separated
- Oil for pan
- 2 cups sliced bananas, berries, or raisins
- 1 pt blueberries or other berries, washed and dried
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups low-fat vanilla yogurt
- Preheat oven to 200°. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix buttermilk, oil, and egg yolks in a cup. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Mix the yolk mixture into the dry ingredients just until moistened and then fold in the whites.
- Heat a nonstick (cast iron) skillet or griddle over medium heat until hot. Lightly oil it and then drop one-third cup portions of batter onto the pan, spreading a bit if thick. Drop in fruits and press them down with the edge of a spatula. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook pancakes until bubbly. Flip them over and finish for a couple of minutes. Transfer to an oven-safe platter and hold in the oven until all the pancakes are done.
- For the sauce, mix the fruit, sugar, and lemon juice in a saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it comes to a boil. Remove from heat and add yogurt. Sauce will thicken as it stands. Serve pancakes topped with yogurt and berry sauce.
Per serving: 637 Calories, 20 g Protein, 102 g Carbohydrates, 9 g Fiber, 20 g Total fat (3 g sat, 10 g mono, 5 g poly), 426 mg Sodium, Biotin, Manganese, Vitamin B2 (riboflavin), Phosphorus, Selenium, Vitamin B1 (thiamine), Vitamin B3 (niacin), Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Pantothenic acid, Calcium, Copper, Magnesium, Zinc, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Folate, Vitamin K, Iodine, Iron, Molybdenum, Potassium