Vegan Chocolate Chickpea Cake
- 2 cups cooked, drained chickpeas
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup tofu (soft), whipped in a stand mixer
- 1 cup packed sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate (65% to 75% cacao is best), chopped finely (look for chocolate that is dairy, whey and casein free)
- Food Processor
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil an 8-inch round cake pan with a layer of parchment on the bottom of the pan.
- In a food processor, puree chickpeas with orange juice for several minutes until smooth.
- Add vanilla and then the tofu 1/4 cup at a time, pulsing for 5 to 10 pulses after addition.
- In a medium bowl whisk together sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add to the chickpea/tofu mixture, pulsing until blended. Gently stir in the chopped chocolate and then pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 40 minutes. When the time is up insert a toothpick— if it comes out dry, the cake is finished. If it is not done, continue to cook, checking for doneness at 5 minute intervals.
- When done, let cool in the pan for at least 15 minutes, then remove to a serving dish and dust with powdered sugar, or top with sliced fruit or berries.