- 1 cup dates
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350. Coat a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Cut dates into small pieces and place in a small bowl. Dissolve soda in hot water and pour over dates. Let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and beat well.
- Add date mixture, flour, nuts salt, and vanilla. Stir to mix well.
- Bake for one hour or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 30 minutes. Turn out onto a serving plate and cut into slices.
239 calories, 4 g Protein, 40 g Carbohydrates, 3 g Fiber, 9 g Total fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono, 2 g poly), 175 mg Sodium, Vitamin B1 (thiamine), B3 (niacin), Manganese