- 1/4 cup salt (coarse, fine, kosher, sea, smoked, etc.)
- 1/4 cup pepper (cracked, coarse, fine, black, white, green, rainbow, etc.)
- 1/4 cup paprika (sweet, hot, or pimentón)
- 1/4 cup sugar (dark brown, light brown, maple, granulated, or Sucanat)
- 1 Tbsp granulated garlic
- 1 Tbsp granulated onion
- 1 tsp celery seed
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix, breaking up any lumps in the sugar with your fingers.
- Raichlen’s Rub will keep, in a sealed jar away from heat or light, for several weeks.
This simple rub is infinitely customizable and the only barbecue rub you’ll ever need. It’s called a 4/4 rub because it requires only 4 basic ingredients in equal proportions: salt, pepper, paprika, and sugar.
Looking for More?
Here are the basics of rubs and marinades. BBQ like a pro with this great info!