- 6 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp hot chili sauce (or up to 2 tsp if you prefer more heat), plus more (optional) for serving
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp avocado oil or peanut oil
- 1 lb ground chicken or ground turkey
- 2 cups shredded coleslaw mix, or 1 cup shredded carrots and 1 cup shredded cabbage, plus more for garnish
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 (8 oz) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 16 crisp Boston, Bibb, butter, or romaine lettuce leaves
- 1/2 cup peanuts, crushed
- Slow Cooker
Make It Now
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, vinegar, honey, sesame oil, chili sauce, garlic, and ginger. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until shimmery. Add chicken and cook until there is no more pink. Drain off any grease. (Freezing instructions begin here.)
- Transfer chicken to a slow cooker and add coleslaw mix, green onions, and water chestnuts. Pour sauce over top and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on Low for 3 to 4 hours, until vegetables are soft and flavors have combined.
- Set lettuce leaves cupped-side up on a large plate or platter. Using a slotted spoon, fill each leaf with chicken mixture. Top with more coleslaw mix, crushed peanuts, and more chile sauce, if you like. Wrap filling in lettuce and eat like a taco.
Freezer to Slow Cooker
Freeze for Later
- Follow steps 1 and 2 above. Let chicken cool.
- Place chicken, sauce, coleslaw mix, green onions, and water chestnuts in a gallon-size freezer bag or container. Seal and freeze.
- Place crushed peanuts in a small freezer bag or container. Seal and freeze alongside chicken.
Prepare from Frozen
- Have lettuce leaves and coleslaw mix and (optional) chile sauce on hand to finish this meal. Thaw.
- Follow steps 3 through 5 above.