- 2 cups dried green or brown lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp olive or grape seed oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, more to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- Combine lentils and enough water to cover by 3 inches in a medium pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until just tender, about 15 to 17 minutes. Strain.
- Whisk together oil, lemon juice, parsley, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Add cucumbers, tomato, onion, and bell pepper. Gently stir in cooled lentils, being careful not to break them apart. Season with additional salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste. Serve room temperature or chilled.
- Be careful not to overcook the lentils, so they retain their shape.