- 4 Tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 tortillas
- Fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- In a bowl, add 2 tablespoons of the oil, the lemon juice, garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Toss chicken pieces in oil-lemon juice mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté onion and bell peppers in remaining 2 tablespoons of oil until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add marinated chicken to same skillet. Cook chicken on medium-high heat for about 8 minutes, or until tender. Add onion and pepper mixture back to pan. Serve immediately with warm tortillas on side. Garnish with cilantro.
- Heat the tortillas, using one of the following methods:
- Cast Iron or Skillet: Place the tortillas one by one in a dry pan set over medium-high heat. They will puff up, soften, and toast. Flip to heat both sides.
- Oven: Wrap 6 to 8 tortillas in foil and place in a preheated 350° oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- BBQ: Place each tortilla on the grates above cooled coals for just a few seconds per side. Flip by using tongs. This method adds exceptional flavor.
The base of this dish is marinated meat, which is then cooked like a stir-fry. Chicken fajitas are usually served on a cast-iron pan with warm tortillas and pico de gallo sauce on the side.
661 Calories, 54 g Protein, 53 g Carbohydrates, 5 g Fiber, 25 g Total fat (3 g sat), 734 mg Sodium, ★★★★★ Vitamin B1 (thiamine), B3 (niacin), B6, C, Folate, Phosphorus, ★★★★ Vitamin B2 (riboflavin), ★★★ Vitamin E, ★★ Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, Zinc, ★ Vitamin B12, D, K