- 1 navel orange
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves (stems removed), finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallions, white and green parts
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp canola oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Grate 1 teaspoon of zest from orange. Peel and section orange, holding it over a medium bowl to reserve juice. Chop sections and place them, with all juice collected, into bowl. Add beans, yellow pepper, jalapeno, cilantro, and scallions.
- Whisk together lime juice and oil in a small bowl. Mix it into salsa, tossing with a fork to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix in orange zest. Let salsa stand 30 minutes before serving to allow flavors to develop and meld.
This salsa keeps for 24 hours, tightly covered, in the refrigerator.