Food 2.0 by Charlie Ayers with Karen Alexander and Carolyn Humphries
- 3 potatoes (about 1 lb), peeled
- 1 cup chopped fresh wilted spinach (or thawed frozen spinach)
- 1 small onion, grated
- 3 Tbsp matzo meal or unbleached all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Vegetable or grapeseed oil
- Grate potatoes into bowl. Squeeze to drain off excess moisture. Squeeze moisture from spinach. Drain onion.
- Mix vegetables together and stir in matzo meal or flour, seasonings, and eggs.
- Pour enough oil into skillet to coat bottom and heat over medium heat. Put 3 spoonfuls of mixture in pan, spaced well apart, and press out to make cakes about 4 inches in diameter.
- Cook until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Keep latkes warm in a low oven while cooking remainder. Serve with a fresh herb salad with vinaigrette dressing.