- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 fennel bulb chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp organic canola or veggie oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup thin slices of bell pepper
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup spinach leaves, torn into pieces
- 1/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
- Generously coat a large heavy pot with oil and place over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and fennel and saute until tender (5 to 7 minutes)
- Add garlic and bell peppers and green peas, saute lightly (1 to 2 minutes)
- Stir in stock, barley, thyme, marjoram. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until the liquid is almost absorbed (40 to 50 minutes) or until barley is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach, cheese, and basil.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
184 Calories, 8 g Protein, 31 g Carbo-hydrates, 6 g Fiber, 4 g Total fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono, 1 g poly), 161 mg Sodium, Selenium, Vitamin B3 (niacin), B6, C, Folate, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus