From Fat Flush for Life by Ann Louise Gittleman, PhD, CNS ($22.95, Da Capo Press, 2009)
- Olive oil spray
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup seeded and chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup seeded and chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/8 tsp cayenne, or to taste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp salt (optional)
- 2 (14 oz) cans black beans, drained and lightly mashed
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 375°. Coat a sauté pan with a few spritzes of olive oil. Heat over medium heat.
- Sauté veggies in pan until they are softened and begin to brown. Spoon into a large bowl.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, mixing well.
- Form mixture into 8 equal-size patties. Place on a lined baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes, or until heated through.
Bean cakes whip up in no time for a fast, nourishing dish. They make a great protein- and fiber-packed snack to keep cravings at bay.
Per serving: 391 Calories, 24 g Protein, 67 g Carbohydrates, 18 g Fiber, 4 g Total fat (1 g sat), 19 mg Sodium, ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Vitamin B1 (thiamine), Magnesium, Phosphorus, ★ ★ ★ ★ Potassium, ★ ★ ★ Iron, ★ ★ Vitamin C, Zinc, ★ Vitamin B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B6, K, Calcium