Black Bean Chia Brownies
Joyous Health: Eat and Live Well Without Dieting by Joy McCarthy ($20, Pintail, 2014)
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 medium eggs
- 1/2 c coconut sugar
- 1/3 c coconut oil, at room temperature
- 1/4 c raw cacao powder*
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 c semisweet dairy-free dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 c raw cacao nibs
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- In a food processor or blender, combine black beans, eggs, coconut sugar, coconut oil, cacao powder, chia seeds and vanilla. Process until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Transfer mixture to baking pan. Level with a spatula and sprinkle with cacao nibs. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a fork inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan before cutting.
You can use regular cocoa powder, but it’s just not as intensely flavorful—or nutrient-dense—as raw cacao powder.
Per serving: 107 Calories, 3 g Protein, 13 g Carbohydrates, 2 g Fiber, 6 g Total fat (4 g sat, 1 g mono), 10 mg Sodium, H Folate, Manganese [DairyFree, GlutenFree, NutFree, Vegetarian]