An investigation by DietDetective.com has ranked 301 cereals by health score from “healthiest” to “unhealthiest.” DietDetective’s survey results also feature lists for the “Most and Least Sugared Cereals,” “Most and Least Sodium Cereals,” and “Most and Least Calorie Cereals.” According to the results, each ranking and cereal health score was determined using 19 health criteria, including calorie count, number of ingredients, vitamin fortification, presence of fiber, and presence of “real food.” DietDetective.com is the official site of Dr. Charles Platkin PhD, JD, MPH, a public health advocate and author of the syndicated column “Diet Detective.” Platkin listed the following as the healthiest cereals.
- Nature's Path Organic Millet Puffs
- Barbara's Shredded Wheat
- Kashi Whole Wheat Biscuits Autumn Wheat (Tied for 3rd place)
- Quaker Oats Old Fashioned (Tied for 3rd place)
- Nature's Path Oatmeal Gluten Free Selections Homestyle
- Kashi 7 Whole Grain Cereals Puffs
- Post Shredded Wheat Original Spoon Size
- Nature's Path Qi'a Superfood Chia, Buckwheat & Hemp Original Flavor
- Post Shredded Wheat Spoon Size Wheat'n Bran
- Nature's Path Original Hot Oatmeal
Out of the 301 cereals, five tied in last place and were labeled as the “unhealthiest” cereals. The five cereals were General Mills Monsters Boo Berry, Kellogg’s Rice Krispies Treats, Post Fruity Pebbles, Post Summer Berry Pebbles, and General Mills Chocolate Lucky Charms.
Comment below and let us know your favorite type of cereal!
“Cereal Investigation 2014-2015” by Charles Platkin, PhD, DietDetective.com, 2014
“About Charles Platkin” DietDetective.com, 2014