- 14 oz butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 3 3/4 cups spelt flour, plus more to dust*
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan or Celtic salt
- 7/8 cup plain yogurt
- Preheat oven to 425°. Roast squash for 30 minutes, until soft, and then mash and set aside to cool.
- Mix flour, oats, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in center and add squash and yogurt. Stir lightly until it just comes together.
- Put onto a floured, lightly oiled baking sheet. Roughly form into a circle and make a cross on top with the handle of a wooden spoon.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until golden and cooked. Serve warm or cool. This is especially delicious toasted.
- Squash gives this rustic loaf a soft texture.
- *Although not gluten-free, spelt is normally tolerated more easily by people who can’t eat wheat.