From the Taste for Life Test Kitchen
- 1 1/2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 3/4 cups blueberries
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, optional
- Combine chia seeds and water in a small bowl. Set aside and let soak for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash blueberries in a small pan with a potato masher or large spoon. Add lemon juice and honey and simmer mixture over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Whisk in vanilla extract, if using, and chia seeds until mixture is well combined.
- Transfer jam to an airtight container. Store in the fridge and enjoy within one week.
In this recipe, omega-3-rich chia seeds stand in for pectin—a common ingredient used in thickening jams.
This jam can also be frozen and stored in the freezer for up to one year.