- 1/2 cup quinoa flour
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch/tapioca flour
- 2 Tbsp unrefined cane sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp organic all-vegetable shortening
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- Grated zest of 1 organic orange
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a large baking pan with unbleached parchment paper. Set pan aside.
- Whisk together quinoa flour, sorghum flour, tapioca starch, sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt in a large bowl. Using your fingers, work shortening into flour mixture until well blended in. (Mixture will be slightly dry.) Stir in poppy seeds and orange zest. Add orange juice, and stir until a moistened dough forms.
- On lined baking sheet, press and form dough into a circle that measures 7 inches in diameter. Carefully cut dough into 6 wedges. Separate wedges slightly.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until scones are lightly browned. Cool scones on a wire rack.
Per serving (1 scone): 192 Calories, 3 g Protein, 28 g Carbohydrates, 2 g Fiber, 8 g Total fat (2 g sat), 145 mg Sodium, ★★★ Phosphorus, ★ Vitamin C, Calcium