The Beauty Chef Gut Guide by Carla Oates ($29.99, Hardie Grant, 2019). Photo by Rochelle Eagle
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups coconut, almond, or macadamia milk beverage, divided
- 1/2 cup quinoa, thoroughly rinsed
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- Stevia, to taste (optional)
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 medium pear, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Honey, to serve (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, combine water and 1 1/2 cups of the coconut milk beverage and bring to boil.
- Add quinoa and reduce to a medium heat. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes until most of liquid is absorbed and quinoa’s little “tails” have sprouted. Add remaining 1/2 cup of coconut milk beverage, chia seeds, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and cloves. Stir to combine.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes, or until chia seeds have rehydrated and porridge is creamy. Sweeten with stevia, if desired.
- Serve topped with canned coconut milk, sliced pear, and walnuts. Drizzle on some honey, if desired.
To save time, you can portion the quinoa, chia seeds, and spices into small containers to make a quick, sugar-free breakfast reminiscent of instant oats.
430 Calories, 11 g Protein, 51 g Carbohydrates, 11 g Fiber, 23 g Total fat (12 g sat), 183 mg Sodium, ★★★★★ Calcium, Phosphorus, ★★★★ Vitamin E, ★★★ Vitamin B1 (thiamine), Iron, Magnesium, ★★ Vitamin B2 (riboflavin), B6, Folate, Zinc, ★ Vitamin B3 (niacin), Potassium