- 3/4 cup dried tart or sweet cherries
- 3/4 cup apple juice or water
- 8 slices whole-wheat bread
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups refrigerated plain coconut milk beverage, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips, at least 60-63 percent cocoa
- 2 Tbsp sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a small bowl, soak cherries in apple juice or water to plump them. Drain well and set aside.
- Stack bread slices and using a serrated knife, cut off crust. Cut bread into 1/2 inch cubes, making about 7 cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cocoa, sugar, and salt. Add 1/3 cup of the coconut milk and whisk until smooth. Add remaining coconut milk and whisk to combine well. Add eggs, egg whites, and vanilla and whisk until well combined. Add cubed bread and drained cherries, mixing gently until all bread is moistened. Set mixture aside to soak for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Coat a 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Stir mixture again to evenly distribute cherries. Spread mixture in prepared pan. Sprinkle on chocolate chips and almonds.
- Bake until a knife inserted in center of pudding comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool on rack until just warm. Cut pudding into 12 pieces and serve. Or cool completely, cover, and refrigerate overnight. Serve cold or at room temperature.
189 Calories, 5 g Protein, 26 g Carbohydrates, 3 g Fiber, 8 g Total fat (5 g sat), 182 mg Sodium, ★★★★★ Vitamin B12, ★★★ Vitamin D, H Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Zinc