From The Ultimate Shortcut Cookie Book by Camilla V. Saulsbury ($24.99, Cumberland House, 2009)
- 1 (16.5 ounce) roll refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Break up the cookie dough into large bowl; let stand for 10–15 minutes to soften.
- Add flour, cranberries, orange zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract to the cookie dough; mix well with your fingers, the paddle attachment of an electric stand mixer, or a wooden spoon.
- Divide dough into two equal halves. On the cookie sheet, shape each dough half into a 12 by 2-inch rectangle, 3/4 inch high, spacing the dough halves about 3 inches apart. Bake for 26 to 28 minutes or until the logs are deep golden brown and spring back in the center when touched. Remove sheet from oven; keep oven on.
- Using two pancake turners, lift logs, one at a time, from the cookie sheet to a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, cut one of the logs into 3/4 inch wide slices. Note: for longer biscotti, cut at a deep diagonal; for shorter biscotti, cut log crosswise. Repeat with second log.
- Place slices on the same cookie sheet (do not worry about the spacing). Bake slices for 5 minutes; remove from oven and turn over all of the slices. Return cookie sheet to oven and bake for 5 minutes longer.
- Remove sheet from oven and immediately transfer biscotti to a wire rack; cool completely.