- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 12-ounce can fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped, divided use
- In a small bowl stir together the low-fat milk and cornstarch until blended and smooth.
- In a small heavy-bottomed saucepan set over medium heat whisk the brown sugar, cocoa powder, and evaporated milk, stirring until mixture comes to a boil. Whisk in the espresso powder. Stir cornstarch mixture again and whisk into espresso mixture. Return to a boil, whisking, then remove from heat.
- Add vanilla, a pinch of salt, and 1 ounce of chocolate to saucepan, stirring. Set saucepan in a large bowl of ice water to cool, whisking frequently.
- Freeze chocolate mixture in ice-cream maker. When nearly frozen, add remaining chocolate and churn until blended. Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup).
242 calories, 4.9g fat (.16g poly, 1.6g mono, 2.9g sat), 9g protein, 5.4mg cholesterol, 43g carbohydrate