- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 12-ounce can fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped, divided use
- In a small bowl stir together the low-fat milk and cornstarch until blended and smooth.
- In a small heavy-bottomed saucepan set over medium heat whisk the brown sugar, cocoa powder, and evaporated milk, stirring until mixture comes to a boil. Whisk in the espresso powder. Stir cornstarch mixture again and whisk into espresso mixture. Return to a boil, whisking, then remove from heat.
- Add vanilla, a pinch of salt, and 1 ounce of chocolate to saucepan, stirring. Set saucepan in a large bowl of ice water to cool, whisking frequently.
- Freeze chocolate mixture in ice-cream maker. When nearly frozen, add remaining chocolate and churn until blended. Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup).
242 calories, 4.9g fat (.16g poly, 1.6g mono, 2.9g sat), 9g protein, 5.4mg cholesterol, 43g carbohydrate
Camilla Saulsbury is a recipe superstar! She’s won several of the country’s top cooking competitions, including the $100,000 National Chicken Cook-Off, the $50,000 Build a Better Burger Contest, and the Food Network’s $25,000 Ultimate Recipe Showdown (Cookies Episode). Camilla is the author of ten cookbooks, all published by Cumberland House Publishing. She is the brand ambassador for Pepperidge Farm® Puff Pastry and has served as a spokesperson and recipe developer for Pillsbury® Brownie Mixes and Cake Mixes. She holds a Ph.D. in sociology with a specialization in food studies.
Camilla has made multiple appearances on the Food Network, has been featured in the New York Times, made appearances on Today and QVC, and is a member of the International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP). Her work has appeared in such magazines as Southern Living, Better Homes and Gardens, Cooking Light, Woman’s Day, Cosmo Girl, Quick & Simple, Country Woman, Sunset, Cook’s Country, and Vegetarian Times. www.camillacooks.com