- 3 Tbsp liquid coconut oil, plus more for greasing pan
- 1/3 cup cacao powder, plus more for dusting pan
- 3/4 cup unsweetened nondairy milk, at room temperature
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 (1oz) squares dairy-free dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease 8 cups of a 12-cup muffin pan with a bit of coconut oil and then dust cups with cacao powder.
- In a large bowl, combine nondairy milk and apple cider vinegar. Let mixture sit for about 5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, melt chocolate chips over medium-low heat. Stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Add coconut oil, vanilla, coconut sugar, and applesauce to milk and vinegar, and mix well with a whisk or electric hand mixer. Add cacao powder, oat flour, and baking powder and mix again until there are no lumps. Stir in about half of melted chocolate.
- Fill each prepared muffin cup with 1/4 cup of batter and place a square of chocolate in middle of each cup, gently pushing it down into batter. Top with rest of batter, making sure chocolate squares are covered.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in side of cake comes out clean (inserting it in center will not work since toothpick will prick melted chocolate square), 15 to 17 minutes. Let cakes sit for about 5 minutes.
- Invert a large baking sheet over muffin pan, carefully flip pan over, and lift it off to release. Top with remaining melted chocolate and serve immediately. Leftover lava cakes will keep in fridge for 5 days.
Rachel Mansfield is here to create delicious recipes made with ‘just the good stuff’. She would like everyone to feel like healthy and delicious food is at their fingertips, and is only a quick recipe away. She never want anyone to sacrifice flavor in the food to feel ‘healthy’.