From Eat Drink Shine by The Blissful Sisters (Jessica, Jill, & Jennifer Emich) ($29.95, Kyle Books, available May 2016)
- 2 (14 oz) cans full-fat coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 Tbsp raw honey
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder (or carob powder if you would like a caffeine-free alternative)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp grass-fed unflavored gelatin powder
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, warm coconut milk until nearly boiling. Whisk in vanilla and honey. Reduce heat to a simmer. Whisk in cacao powder until thoroughly combined. Turn burner off.
- Sprinkle gelatin over surface of coconut milk mixture. Let sit for 3 to 4 minutes to allow it to activate and then whisk gelatin into milk mixture until all lumps are gone. Remove pan from stovetop and allow it to cool for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Pour cooled coconut milk mixture into ice pop molds (see Tip), dividing it evenly. Freeze pops completely before serving. They will be ready in 6 to 8 hours.
If you don’t have ice pop molds, small paper cups can be used instead. Fill the cups an inch or two from the top of the cup of the cooled coconut milk mixture and let it freeze long enough to hold the pop sticks upright, about 45 minutes. Insert the sticks, fill the cups completely, and return to the freezer. When fully frozen, peel away the paper from the pops and enjoy.
Fudge pops at the store are usually loaded with refined sugar and preservatives. This is our good-for-you version. This treat incorporates many healing foods—each ingredient is powerful in its own right—while satisfying your chocolate craving on a hot day.