- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 of an onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp parsley
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp basil
- Roughly 1 cup of cooked chicken (shredded in large chunks)
- Dash of salt, to taste
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Put all of the ingredients in a large pot and heat at high.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Bring the soup back to a rolling boil when you are ready to add the dumplings.
- Mix the ingredients in a bowl.
- Scoop balls of 1 tsp dumpling batter and slide them with a knife into the boiling soup. They do not need to be perfect balls. They will expand as they cook.
- Let the dumplings simmer in the soup for roughly 10 minutes.
The dumplings will absorb a lot of liquid. If necessary, add more broth and/or water and season to taste.