- 1/2 lb dried kidney beans
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 green onions (scallions), white and pale green parts only, finely sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Few dashes of Tabasco chipotle pepper sauce, plus more for serving
- 1 cup steamed rice, for serving
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for finishing
- Parsley leaves, for serving
- Place beans in a medium bowl and add cold water to cover by a few inches. Let beans soak for 12 hours. Drain beans, rinse, and then drain again. Set beans aside.
- Bring a kettle filled with water to a boil so it’s on hand. You will need it in a few minutes.
- In a soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Once hot, add green onions, bell pepper, serrano pepper, red onion, garlic, oregano, and cayenne. Lightly season with salt and black pepper. Cook vegetables until tender, about 5 minutes. Toss in kidney beans and chipotle pepper sauce. Add boiling water to cover by 4 inches and season with salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, partially cover, and simmer until beans are tender and have a creamy texture, 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Occasionally stir the pot, making sure nothing is sticking to the bottom and beans are covered by 2 inches of liquid; add more hot water if needed.
- Use a ladle to remove about 1 1/2 cups of the beans and liquid. Transfer to a blender and purée. (Alternatively, just smash beans with back of spoon against pot.) Return puréed beans and simmer, uncovered, for another 15 minutes. Take pot off heat and adjust seasoning. Serve with about 1/4 cup steamed rice per bowl. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil, sprinkle with parsley, and serve with more chipotle pepper sauce, if you like.
514 Calories, 18 g Protein, 78 g Carbohydrates, 18 g Fiber, 16 g Total fat (2 g sat), 317 mg Sodium, ★★★★★ Vitamin B6, C, K, Folate, Phosphorus, ★★★★ Vitamin B1 (thiamine), ★★★ Iron, Magnesium, ★★ Vitamin B3 (niacin), Potassium, Zinc, ★ Vitamin A, B2 (riboflavin), E, Calcium