- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 carrot chopped (about 3 oz.)
- 1 stalk celery chopped (about 1 oz.)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp. fresh gingerroot minced
- 1 tsp. each ground cumin coriander and paprika
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. each dried oregano chili flakes and pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 cups/24 oz. sodium-reduced vegetable broth
- 1 can/19 oz. no-sodium chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 4 oz. ditalini
- 6 cups/4 oz. spinach
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in large saucepan set over medium heat; cook onion, carrot, celery, garlic and ginger for about 5 minutes or until vegetables start to soften. Add cumin, coriander, paprika, salt, oregano, chili flakes, pepper and cayenne; cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes or until spices are fragrant. Stir in tomato paste; cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in broth, 2 cups water and chickpeas; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer for about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender and broth is flavourful.
- Stir in ditalini. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until pasta is tender and broth thickens. Stir in spinach and cilantro; cook for about 1 minute or until spinach is wilted.
Serve stew with dollop of low-fat yogurt for added richness.
Without yogurt: 489 Calories, 23 g Protein, 78 g Carbohydrates, 14 g Fiber, 11 g Total fat (1 g sat), 360 mg Sodium, ★★★★★ Vitamin B6, K, Folate, ★★★★ Vitamin B1 (thiamine), Phosphorus, ★★★ Iron, ★★ Vitamin A, B2 (riboflavin), C, E, Magnesium, Potassium, Zinc, ★ Vitamin B3 (niacin), Calcium