- 1 small beet, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp raw agave nectar
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Blender or Food Processor
- In a blender or food processor, combine all the ingredients, except the chia seeds; process until the mixture reaches a smooth consistency. Transfer to a bowl and mix in the chia seeds. Cover the bowl with a plate or lid and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- When ready to use, divide the gel into small ziplock plastic bags or reusable gel containers.
- This gel will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator, but it is best when consumed fresh.
Known as the “running food,” chia seeds are a fantastic high- energy endurance food that dates as far back as the ancient Aztecs. Soldiers used to eat a daily serving of these tiny seeds to give them energy for running long distances and to sustain them for long periods of heat and thirst.
- This gel is suggested for moderate-intensity activity that lasts up to 3 hours.
- This gel is packed full of energizing nutrients that provide easily digestible nourishment for your long and intense workouts.
- When you pair chia seeds with natural sugar and electrolytes (as in this recipe), it creates the perfect fuel for before, during and after any high- intensity and endurance activities.
The key to a whole new level of health is as simple as eating well! Zuzana Fajkusova and Nikki Lefler, authors of Vegan Weight Loss Manifesto, have been vegan athletes and health coaches for more than 20 years and have designed the perfect plant-based diet to fuel your body.
Zuzana and Nikki have discovered the plant-based secret to building leaner, stronger muscles, and with their meal type and timing recommendations for casual, moderate and high-impact workouts, you’re sure to find the best way to give your body the nutrition it needs to keep improving.
Zuzana Fajkusova and Nikki Lefler
Zuzana Fajkusova and Nikki Lefler are the founders of ActiveVegetarian.com and authors of Vegan Weight Loss Manifesto. They are health coaches and the hosts of The Active Vegetarian podcast. They live in Vancouver, Canada.
The key to a whole new level of health is as simple as eating well! Zuzana and Nikki have been vegan athletes and health coaches for more than 20 years and have designed the perfect plant-based diet to fuel your body pre-, mid- and post-workout. A vegan diet provides all the essential vitamins, minerals, enzymes and antioxidants an active body needs―and with delicious recipes like Chocolate Muscle Mylk, Veggie Nori Rolls and “The Game Changer” Burger, you never have to sacrifice flavor. They even include sample menus to help you plan your plant-based journey to increase your strength and energy while reducing body fat. So, whether you’re a competitive athlete or weekend warrior, this cookbook has recipes that are sure to strengthen your body, mind and spirit.