- 1 Tbsp olive oil or 1/4 cup water
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 medium-size carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large Yukon gold potato, peeled or scrubbed, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 (14.5-oz) can diced red tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 1/4 cup pitted green olives, halved or sliced
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas or 2 (15.5-ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro or Italian parsley
- Heat oil or water in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and carrot. Cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add bell pepper, potato, garlic, ginger, paprika, turmeric, cayenne, tomatoes with their juices, broth, and salt to taste. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, soak apricots in hot water for 10 minutes and then drain and finely chop. Add apricots, olives, lemon zest, and chickpeas to vegetable mixture and cook until hot and flavors are blended, about 5 minutes.
- Use back of a large spoon to crush some of chickpeas and potatoes and blend into sauce.
- Stir in cilantro and serve hot.
359 Calories, 12 g Protein, 63 g Carbohydrates, 17 g Fiber, 9 g Total fat, 645 mg Sodium, ★★★ Vitamins A, Vitamin C, ★★ Iron, Manganese, Potassium