Sourdough Sprout Bread Growth: Stage 1
Sourdough sprout bread connects us to the nourishing life-processes of growth.
Making Sourdough Starter
- A week before baking, mix a tablespoon of flour and of water, adding more each day. Keep at room temperature.
- Add a spoonful of buttermilk or fresh lemon juice to encourage fermentation.
- Two days before baking: soak einkorn grains overnight. Rinse daily.
Making the Sourdough Sprout Bread Dough: Stage 2
- Blend together equal units of sourdough and sprouted grains, leaving the grains partially whole.
- Mix together in a bowl with 2 units of einkorn flour and sea salt to taste. Adjust amount of flour so dough holds together well. Knead lightly.
- Add raisins, nuts or maple syrup for a festive sweet bread, or grated carrots, etc. (Add more sprouts for a Bavarian-type bread. More flour for sandwich bread.)
Forming the Sourdough Sprout Bread Loaf: Stage 3
- Brush olive oil and sprinkle flour in a bread pan.
- Flatten and roll or fold dough several times to form a loaf. Place in pan.
- Slow-ferment in refrigerator overnight.
- Take out next day, let warm to room temperature, dust top with flour and bake.