- 2 tsp extra-virgin organic olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, cut into small dice
- Sea salt
- Generous pinch cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup dried maitake mushrooms, soaked until tender, about 5 minutes
- 3 c coarsely chopped mixed organic fresh mushrooms (cremini, button, oyster, morels, portobello)
- 3 slices whole-grain bread
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Place oil and onion in skillet over medium heat. When onion begins to sizzle, add pinch of salt and pepper and saute until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Drain maitake mushrooms, reserving water.
- Stir all mushrooms into skillet.
- Add pinch of salt and saute until mushrooms release their juices and begin to reabsorb them.
- Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and add 1/3 cup of the mushroom soaking water to skillet (discard the remaining water).
- Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are tender and beginning to brown, about 8 minutes.
- When mushrooms are almost ready, toast the bread and cut slices in half, creating triangles.
- Remove mushrooms from heat and stir in parsley and lemon juice.
- Spoon evenly onto toast pieces and serve hot.