From The Greek Vegetarian Cookbook by Heather Thomas ($39.95, Phaidon Press Limited, 2019)
- 2 ripe avocados
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Pinch crushed red pepper (chili) flakes
- Few dill sprigs, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices crusty bread
- 1/4 cucumber, diced
- 8 cherry or baby plum tomatoes, quartered or chopped
- 8 black olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 tsp capers, chopped
- 3 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- Fruity green olive oil, for drizzling
- Cut avocados in half, remove stones, and scoop out flesh into a bowl. Mash coarsely with lemon juice, garlic, red pepper (chili) flakes, and dill. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lightly toast bread and spread mashed avocado over it, right up to edges.
- Mix cucumber, tomatoes, olives, and capers together in a bowl and use to cover avocado toasts. Crumble feta over top and drizzle with oil. Serve immediately.
This is a Greek twist on the classic avocado toast breakfast with salty feta, tomatoes, olives, lemon juice, and—of course—olive oil. Add lemon juice (or some lime juice, if preferred) to the avocado to prevent it from discoloring. For variations, use mint, cilantro, or parsley instead of dill. Add some diced red or green bell pepper. Dust with paprika or cayenne pepper. Drizzle with hot sauce or sweet chili sauce.
Per serving: 344 Calories, 10 g Protein, 26 g Carbohydrates, 10 g Fiber, 25 g Total fat (6 g sat), 432 mg Sodium, ★★★ Vitamin B6, ★★ Vitamin B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), C, E, K, Folate, Phosphorus, ★ Vitamin B1 (thiamine), B12, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, Zinc