From Cooking with Your Instant Pot Mini by Heather Schlueter ($19.95, Sterling Epicure, 2018)
- 1/2 gallon whole milk
- 2 Tbsp yogurt*
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Instant Pot
- For best results cool empty Instant Pot inner pot in refrigerator before beginning.
- To warm milk: Pour cold milk into Instant Pot inner pot. Secure lid, ensuring valve is turned to Sealing position. Press Yogurt button, and then press it again until display says “Boil.” This will slowly heat milk. Desired end temperature is 182°. After about 25 minutes, pot will beep, indicating that it is done.
- Remove lid and stir well. Measure temperature of milk. It should be between 180° and 185°. If it is not quite up to temperature, put lid back on and press Yogurt button until it displays “BOIL.” Check temperature again after 5 minutes.
- To cool milk: Press Cancel button to turn appliance off. Unplug unit. Carefully lift inner pot out, using oven mitts, and place on a cooling rack on counter. Cool milk to between 95° and 115°. Stir milk before testing temperature. Discard any milk “skin” that has formed. To speed up this process, you can place inner pot into a cold water bath. Just fill your sink with enough cold water to submerge pot halfway.
- Incubation: Once milk has cooled to desired temperature, place inner pot back into appliance and plug in unit. Place yogurt in a small bowl and slowly stir in K cup of warm milk from inner pot. Mix well. Add yogurt mixture to inner pot and stir well. Secure lid. Press Yogurt button (you may have to press button more than once to see hourly timer) and adjust time to 8 hours. For thicker yogurt, adjust time for up to 10 hours.
- After set time, display will read “Yogt” to let you know this phase is complete. Yogurt should be fairly thick. Add vanilla extract and stir well. Remove inner pot and cover pot with plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator to chill for 6 to 8 hours before serving.
* When looking for a commercial yogurt to use as a starter, make sure it has only milk and live, active cultures as ingredients.
Per serving (1 cup): 179 Calories, 9 g Protein, 14 g Carbohydrates, 9 g Total fat (5 g sat), 122 mg Sodium, ★★★★★ Vitamin B12, ★★★ Vitamin B2 (riboflavin), Calcium, Phosphorus, ★★ Vitamin D, ★ Vitamin A, B1 (thiamine), Zinc