Chai Spice Mix
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 tsp ground cloves
- 4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 cheesecake base
- 1 cup cashew nuts
- Pinch salt
- 5 Tbsp coconut oil
- Scant 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 1/4 Tbsp coconut sugar or dark muscovado (soft brown) sugar
- 3 tsp cider vinegar
- 3/4 c coconut cream*
- To make chai spice mix, place black pepper, nutmeg, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, and ginger in a small jam jar. Seal with a lid and shake to mix well. Use as needed.
- Make the cheesecake base, pressing base into 8 round molds (each about 2 inches in diameter).
- For cheesecake filling, soak cashews in cold water for 1 hour. Drain and blend with salt in a blender until as fine as possible. Add coconut oil and blend again until completely smooth.
- Add maple syrup, coconut sugar, vinegar, coconut cream, and 3 1/2 teaspoons of the Chai Spice mix and blend again until well mixed and smooth.
- Use a jug or piping bag to fill molds evenly with cheesecake filling. Chill cheesecakes in fridge overnight before de-molding and serving, or freeze for 2 or more hours. If frozen, they are easier to de-mold, but they’re best left to soften in the fridge for an hour or two before serving. Cheesecakes will keep well in a covered container in the fridge for 2 to 3 days.
*Coconut cream is a helpful dairy substitute. Use either the cream that separates from a can of coconut milk or buy coconut cream already separated.
416 Calories, 7 g Protein, 34 g Carbohydrates, 4 g Fiber, 31 g Total fat (18 g sat), 84 mg Sodium, ★★★ Phosphorus, ★★ Magnesium, ★ Vitamin B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), E, Iron, Potassium, Zinc