Excerpted from Better Food for Kids: Your Essential Guide to Nutrition for all Children from Age 2 to 10 by Daina Kalnins and Joanne Saab. Copyright © 2010 Robert Rose Inc. www.robertrose.ca Reprinted by permission. All rights reserved.
- 2 1/3 cups 2% milk, divided
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, combine 2 cups of the milk and all the sugar. Heat over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar, until bubbles form around edge of pan.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together remaining milk, egg, cocoa powder and cornstarch until smooth. While whisking briskly, gradually add hot milk mixture. Pour back into saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, for 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened (do not let boil). Remove from heat.
- Stir in banana and vanilla. Serve warm or pour into a bowl, place plastic wrap directly on surface of pudding to prevent skin from forming and refrigerate for about 2 hours, until chilled.