For the crust:
- 1 1/2 c walnut pieces
- 1 1/4 c sliced almonds
- 3/4 c gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 c butter, well chilled
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 c raw buckwheat flour or millet flour
For the filling:
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 5 medium Fuji apples, cored and sliced
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp coriander
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup, plus more for drizzling if desired
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 c gluten-free oat flour*
- Preheat oven to 375°. Grease a 10-inch glass pie pan that’s 2 inches deep.
- To make crust: Place nuts, oats, and cinnamon in a food processor and briefly process. Cut butter into chunks and scatter onto flour. Briefly process just until crumbs form. Add egg and process again until dough balls up against sides of processor.
- Transfer dough to a large mixing bowl and knead in flour. Split dough into 2 balls. Refrigerate one. Press other into bottom and up sides of pie pan.
- To make filling: Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add apples, spices, and maple syrup. Cover skillet and cook apples for 15 minutes, occasionally turning them over. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and oat flour.
- Scoop apples into bottom crust. Place refrigerated dough between 2 large sheets of plastic wrap and roll it into a 10-inch circle. Remove top sheet of plastic wrap. Use bottom sheet to hold crust above pie. Carefully flip crust onto apples. Remove plastic wrap. Pinch edges together, patching any tears with overhanging pieces of dough. Make 8 slits in top crust in a sunburst pattern.
- Bake pie for 1 hour, or until top crust is golden brown and apples are bubbling. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting into pie. If desired, drizzle each piece with maple syrup before serving. Leftover pie can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.
Use a coffee/spice grinder to grind gluten-free rolled oats into flour.
Per serving: 545 Calories, 14 g Protein, 40 g Carbohydrates, 8 g Fiber, 38 g Total fat (11 g sat, 13 g mono, 11 g poly), 13 mg Sodium, ★★★★★ Manganese, ★★ Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, ★ Vitamin B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B6, Molybdenum, Potassium, Selenium, Zinc
Gluten Free, Vegetarian