100 Best Quick Gluten-Free Recipes by Carol Fenster ($16.99, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2014)
Parmesan Herb Blend
- 3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese or soy Parmesan
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or 2 Tbsp dried
- 4 tsp chopped fresh thyme or 2 tsp dried
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup gluten-free bread crumbs (see below)
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 cup store-bought gluten-free marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese or cheese alternative
- Make the herb blend: In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients until thoroughly blended.
- Prepare the chicken: With a meat mallet, lightly pound the chicken breasts to about a 1/2 inch thickness between sheets of plastic wrap. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper. In a shallow dish or plate, combine the bread crumbs, 1/4 cup of the herb blend, and the cornstarch. Dip both sides of the chicken breasts in the crumb mixture, pressing it onto the chicken with your fingers.
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken breasts until lightly browned on both sides and the juices run clear, 7 to 10 minutes. Turn the heat to low. While the chicken breasts are still in the skillet, top each with 2 tablespoons marinara sauce and 2 tablespoons mozzarella cheese. Cover the skillet with a lid or aluminum foil and cook for 2 minutes more or until the marinara sauce is heated through and the cheese melts. Serve immediately.
Refrigerate leftovers, tightly covered, for up to 3 days.